Described by our clients as ‘passionate’, ‘innovative’, ‘collaborative’: Buro Happold is an independent, international engineering practice that over the last 40 years has become synonymous with the delivery of creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world. We played an instrumental role in the development of Engineers Declare and are committed to delivering a net zero future for our clients as well as our company.
Buro Happold Cities brings together the expertise of world class engineers, economists and consultants to examine cities from a variety of angles, giving our clients a unique picture of the challenges to tackle and the assets and opportunities their city can capitalise on. Working on a diverse range of fascinating projects that cover urban development, infrastructure planning and design, resource management, and programme delivery, our Cities business unit is at the forefront of innovation in the urban environment.
Our UK Energy team sits within Buro Happold Cities and contains over 30 engineers, scientists, geographers and commercialisation consultants. The team work throughout the project lifecycle from national scale spatial energy system analytics through to detail design of some of the most innovative district energy and smart grid installation. The team is split geographically across London, Leeds, Manchester and Edinburgh.
Type of contract: Permanent
Area of Expertise: Cities
Office / Project Location: London/Leeds/Edinburgh
Ref No: 5610
Our very strong portfolio of work includes:
• Communiheat – working with communities towards net zero carbon emissions https://communiheat.org/
• Local Area Energy Planning (LAEP) pilot studies reporting to BEIS
• District heating/ energy zoning
• Various low carbon frameworks; Scottish Government, Energy Systems Catapult, BEIS, GLA.
• Innovative district heating schemes including waste heat from the sewage treatment process, minewater and deep geothermal.
• International masterplan schemes in Middle East, Europe and beyond
• County and region-wide renewable studies
• Leading Programme Delivery Unit support to the GLA’s Local Energy Accelerator programme.
• Much more!
What’s in it for you?
The opportunity to experience our culture and values and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large-scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
A plethora of interesting and exciting projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close-knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. Buro Happold have recently adopted a new flexible working model which will allow you to get the balance right with your working and home life – getting the help you need from colleagues and other disciplines whether you are at home or in the office. We will provide you with all the equipment you need to make this a success for you.
You will enter a company which no matter what your race, gender, disability or background you will respected and listened to so you can be confident you can reach your full potential and career aspirations. We have active staff networks (including but not limited to SPECTRUM, FAIR, Young Engineers Forum) which provide platforms to share ideas and concerns and speak freely. Ultimately, we want our staff to feel empowered, with a culture of respect ensuring people always feel valued.
In addition, we see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.
The Cities Energy team specialises in energy system policy, planning, design and delivery at campus, city and regional scales. We aim to deliver value for our clients using distributed energy to resolve energy security, costs and sustainability challenges across the range of sectors and markets in which BuroHappold operates. We are looking for a passionate Senior Engineer to help us drive this agenda and deliver energy solutions for the 21st century.
You will be responsible for a diverse range of activities, from detailed analysis and reporting, to planning graduate and engineer level staff tasks and resources, project management and managing client relationships across our portfolio of energy clients.
• Knowledge of UK energy policy and regulatory drivers of energy and carbon efficiency across a range of project scales.
• Technical knowledge and familiarity with the sizing, design, operation and implementation of low and zero carbon technologies and key components in district energy systems.
• Experience in undertaking system investigations and modelling to support and enhance engineering designs.
• Experience and understanding of building integrated and utility scale energy systems, building energy performance and efficiency standards.
• Experience of economic modelling of energy systems for feasibility studies / options appraisals.
• Ability to work across inter-disciplinary projects, liaising with various stakeholders.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate detailed design and technical subjects to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Degree educated, preferably in a related discipline e.g. mechanical, electrical or chemical engineering, energy, physics or environmental and professionally registered e.g. CEng or equivalent or well advanced in working towards professional registration.
• Experience in developing detailed feasibility studies for campus/city scale energy systems
• Experience of economic modelling of energy systems for feasibility studies / options appraisals
• CIBSE Heat Network Consultant – CP1 2020 knowledge and experience
• Experience in client or owner’s engineer roles overseeing construction and delivery of district energy projects
• Ability to undertake research and evaluation of new technologies, policies and services in the energy sector.
• Experience in developing energy and greenhouse gas emissions models and calculations using MS Excel and/or other software packages
• EnergyPro or similar energy system modelling softwares
• Familiarity with Revit and/or AutoCAD
• Excellent graphic design and presentational skills.
• Develop bespoke methodologies to solve complex problems
• Produce accurate, professional written reports with excellent written English, clearly communicating our work to clients and stakeholders
• Make verbal presentations to clients / stakeholders of the work undertaken
• Ensure that all stakeholders are kept informed of design progress and any risks are consulted with project leader/project director.
Planning and Operations
• Manage energy team led projects to meet budget and programme requirements using agile working
• Manage energy team inputs to inter-disciplinary projects including monitoring resourcing against project plan.
• Review and approve calculations from other team members
• Support the Energy leadership in client and design team relationships
• Management of graduate level staff on projects.
• Identify opportunities for new work and contribute to work winning through input to fee proposals and bids.
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. Buro Happold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We recognise and are committed to change the lack of representation of minority groups in our industry, and particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic individuals, disabled people and women across all our offices. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Apply now on-line