Described by our clients as ‘passionate’, ‘innovative’, ‘collaborative’: BuroHappold is an independent, international engineering practice that over the last 40 years has become synonymous with the delivery of creative, value led building and city solutions for an ever changing world. We played an instrumental role in the development of Engineers Declare and are committed to delivering a net zero future for our clients as well as our company.
Buro Happold Cities brings together the expertise of world class engineers, economists and consultants to examine cities from a variety of angles, giving our clients a unique picture of the challenges to tackle and the assets and opportunities their city can capitalise on. Working on a diverse range of fascinating projects that cover urban development, infrastructure planning and design, resource management, and programme delivery, our Cities business unit is at the forefront of innovation in the urban environment.
Our UK Energy teamcontains over 30 engineers, scientists, geographers and commercialisation The team is split geographically across London, Leeds, Manchester and Edinburgh.
Type of contract: Permanent
Area of Expertise: Cities
Office / Project Location: Leeds/London
Ref No: 5609
Our very strong portfolio of work includes:
• Communiheat – working with communities towards net zero carbon emissions https://communiheat.org/
• Innovative district heating schemes including waste heat from the sewage treatment process, minewater and deep geothermal.
• International masterplan schemes in Middle East, Europe and beyond
• County and region-wide renewable studies
• Leading Programme Delivery Unit support to the GLA’s Local Energy Accelerator programme.
• Much more!
What’s in it for you?
The opportunity to experience our culture and values and learn what sets us apart from other organisations. Exposure to a wide range of portfolios, including local community led projects and global large-scale clients. The diversity of the projects we work on is one of the many reasons Engineers love to work at Buro Happold. The opportunity to work on multidisciplinary projects aside a range of specialist engineers and designers both within Buro Happold and our collaborators.
A plethora of interesting and exciting projects to stretch your professional skills, a friendly and close-knit team, flexible working and a competitive reward package. Buro Happold have recently adopted a new flexible working model which will allow you to get the balance right with your working and home life – getting the help you need from colleagues and other disciplines whether you are at home or in the office. We will provide you with all the equipment you need to make this a success for you.
You will enter a company which no matter what your race, gender, disability or background you will respected and listened to so you can be confident you can reach your full potential and career aspirations. We have active staff networks (including but not limited to SPECTRUM, FAIR, Young Engineers Forum) which provide platforms to share ideas and concerns and speak freely. Ultimately, we want our staff to feel empowered, with a culture of respect ensuring people always feel valued.
We have recently adopted a new framework focussed on early careers development. This allows our Graduates and Engineers to develop a broad knowledge of design and technology whilst building a base in consulting and professional skills. This is a blended learning programme where participants gain experience against our internal professional and technical frameworks in relation to their specialism.
In addition, we see membership of a professional body and professional registration as crucial to the development of our engineers and offer substantial support to those aspiring to achieve this. We aim to support employees to achieve the highest level of membership and registration their academic background allows.
The Cities Energy team specialises in energy system policy, planning, design and delivery at campus, city and regional scales. We aim to deliver value for our clients using distributed energy to resolve energy security, costs and sustainability challenges across the range of sectors and markets in which BuroHappold operates. We are looking for a passionate engineer to help us drive this agenda and deliver energy solutions for the 21st century.
You will be responsible for a diverse range of activities, from detailed analysis and reporting, to planning graduate-level staff tasks and resources, project management and managing client relationships across our portfolio of energy clients.
• Knowledge of UK energy policy and regulatory drivers of energy and carbon efficiency across a range of project scales.
• Experience in developing techno-economic feasibility studies for building/campus/city scale energy systems.
• Technical awareness and familiarity with the sizing, design, operation and implementation of low carbon technologies and key components in district energy systems.
• Ability to undertake research and evaluation of new technologies, policies and services in the energy sector.
• Strong written and verbal communication skills, ability to communicate detailed design and technical subjects to technical and non-technical audiences using MSOffice.
• Degree educated, preferably in a related discipline e.g. mechanical, electrical or chemical engineering, energy, physics or environment and working towards professional registration.
• Minimum 2 years’ experience in a related field.
• CIBSE Heat Network Consultant – CP1 2020 knowledge and experience
• Experience in developing energy and greenhouse gas emissions models and calculations using MS Excel and/or other software packages
• Macro writing or other programming languages such as advanced MS Excel skills, Python, Grasshopper or FME.
• EnergyPro or similar energy system modelling software
• Familiarity with Revit and/or AutoCAD
• Excellent graphic design and presentational skills.
• Develop bespoke methodologies to solve complex problems
Buro Happold is proud to be a practice of a diverse range of professionals that reflects the countries in which we operate. In order to truly benefit from this diversity we must create an environment in which employees feel they can be themselves. Buro Happold actively promotes inclusivity across the practice to enable every individual to reach their full potential, feeling included is good for all of us. This begins with a fair and inclusive recruitment process which focuses on your skills, competencies and experiences in relation to the role. We recognise and are committed to change the lack of representation of minority groups in our industry, and particularly welcome applications from Black, Asian and minority ethnic individuals, disabled people and women across all our offices. We understand that through collaboration, diverse people with different experiences develop the most innovative and elegant solutions.
Apply now on-line